As a child, you may have seen the dentist once or twice yearly for a cleaning. However, as you become an adult with a busy schedule, it’s easy to forget to prioritize dental cleaning appointments. Even though we brush our teeth daily, regular dental cleanings are essential to maintaining a healthy mouth. Regular teeth cleanings have numerous benefits, including fresher breath, a brighter smile, and the prevention of future dental issues. At Horizon Dental in Taylorsville, Utah, we know how important dental cleanings are and provide the service to all our patients! Searching for “dental cleanings near me” has never been easier!
Read on to learn why it’s important to make dental cleanings a part of your regular self-care routine.
What are Dental Cleanings?
A dental cleaning, part of our general dentistry services in Taylorsville, Utah, is also known as a prophylaxis or a ‘prophy’ for short. It’s a preventive measure that a registered dental hygienist or dentist does to remove plaque and tartar from your teeth and gums. It typically includes a physical exam, scaling (scraping off tartar), polishing, and applying fluoride, depending on your oral health.
Benefits of Dental Cleanings
- Preventive Maintenance: Dental cleanings help prevent future dental problems from occurring. During a cleaning, a dental hygienist removes any plaque buildup that could lead to tooth decay. They also examine your teeth and gums for any signs of gum disease or oral cancer. By identifying these issues early on, you can take steps to prevent them from becoming more severe problems. Preventive maintenance through regular dental cleanings can save you from costly and extensive treatments.
- A Brighter Smile: We all want our smiles to look bright and beautiful. Unfortunately, daily brushing doesn’t permanently remove all the stains from our teeth. Over time, coffee, tea, wine, and other dark-colored foods can cause discolored teeth. During a cleaning, your dental hygienist will use specialized tools to remove surface stains, leaving your teeth shinier and brighter.
- Fresher Breath: Bad breath, or halitosis, can be embarrassing and unpleasant. Brushing and flossing alone may not be enough to combat halitosis caused by persistent bacteria in the mouth. Regular dental cleanings can help reduce or eliminate the bacteria that cause bad breath, making your mouth fresher and healthier.
- Prevent Health Issues: Poor oral health can cause overall health issues including heart disease, diabetes, and cancers. Early detection of dental issues can help prevent these issues.
Dental Cleaning Procedure
Dr. Joshua Frandsen will examine your teeth and gums for any signs of gum disease, cavities, or other oral health problems. Your hygienist will follow that up by using a small instrument, a scaler, to remove tartar and plaque from your teeth and gums and then polishing your teeth. We can also apply a fluoride treatment to help strengthen teeth, fight cavities, and prevent tooth decay.
How Often Should You Get A Dental Cleaning
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends seeing your dentist at least every six months for a routine cleaning and exam. However, depending on your oral health, Dr. Frandsen may recommend more frequent visits.
Tips and Tricks For Your Next Dental Cleaning
While some may dread it, many find the cleaning process quite refreshing. But if you’re still not convinced, here are a few tips to help you get through your next cleaning:
- Talk to Your Hygienist: If you have sensitive teeth, inform your hygienist beforehand so they can handle the cleaning accordingly.
- Headphones: Bring headphones to listen to music or an audiobook to distract yourself.
- Daily Care: Ensure you follow the daily care routine recommended by your dentist, brushing twice daily, flossing regularly, and using mouthwash.
Dental Cleanings Near Me
Regular dental cleanings are vital to maintaining a healthy mouth and body. They’re not just about achieving a brighter smile; they can prevent future dental problems, improve your overall well-being, and even identify underlying health issues.
Dr. Joshua Frandsen and his fantastic team will be here in Taylorsville, Utah, to provide the best care possible for you and your family! Schedule an appointment for a dental cleaning at Horizon Dental today!